Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Recap of "MY FIRST 5K" April 27, 2013

So I did it. I completed my first 5K.  I was  nervous and could hardly sleep the night before. And I had this bad dream that I was in a car accident on the way to the 5K and couldn't even do the 5K.  But I'm thankful that it was just a bad dream and it was just my silly nerves. 

I had spent the day before the 5K with my Abby at Pine Wood Camp in Muskegon for her class field trip . We hiked and walked and walked....we were there from 10am-7pm.  I was very tired and a little sore when we got home Friday night April 26th and I had to get ready for that 5K Saturday. And I almost wondered if I should have gone on the field trip with Abby but I am so glad I didn't miss is.  Abby has such a great class and a great group of friends.

Abby and Me- We knew we were going to have a great day together.

Kylie, Hannah and Abby- Aren't they so cute?!

I call these girlfriends "The Fabulous Five" Abby, Brianna, Philena, Hannah and Kylie

Saturday morning I was up at 6am. I had an egg and half a banana and a slice of toast with peanut butter for breakfast. I felt good, rested and ready.  I rode with Gina, Val Johnston and Abby Calverly to Shepherd Maple Syrup Festival.  We were all buzzing with excitement.  I had this goal in my mind that I had to do at least 45 minutes but maybe I could do the 5K in 40 minutes.  I was sure my adrenaline would kick in and I'd do it faster.
There were SO MANY PEOPLE there!!  Over 700 runners and walkers registered.  It was an amazing site.  People of all shapes and sizes, of all ages, young and old alike.  It was really a beautiful site. And I wish I would have had a camera to capture all the beautiful people. I love looking at people. The expressions and imaginging their story, the song of their life.  I was thinking about all these people and what brought them to this race.  That was probably one of the most exciting things for me about the race day!!

I met up with my team of workout buddies and we were all wearing our pink shirts:


My walking/jogging buddy Val, my sister Gina, me and Abby Calverly

This last picture was taken with my phone camera-Aren't they all beautiful girls?

Val was my running walking buddy.  We decided to do it together. I had it in my mind that I was going to go fast and that I'd probably run at some point without her. BOY WAS I WRONG.  We started out strong and fast and ran the first 10 minutes. We had decided to do 5 minute walk then run 5 minutes but I thought we should start out with at least 10 minutes and go as fast as we could.  At one point I felt like I could keep on running so I told Val "I'm going to keep going." So I left her behind.  I started to feel tired and noticed I was slowing but thought "Oh well, its not that bad."  Then all of a sudden I see Val beside me and passing me!  And I was like "Yep, my plan did not work!"  So I knew right then and there, this 5K wasn't going to be about speed. It was going to be about pacing myself and sticking with my buddy.  Val is such a great pace keeper.  And her personality is so like that. She is faithful, committed, solid, and steady. When I wanted to speed up she could keep me to a steady pace. And I needed it because I truly didn't train the way I should have for this 5K.  How could I expect to run a 5K if I hadn't had enough time to put into that training.  There were points during our 5 minute jogs that I felt like my legs were lead weights and Val would say "You got this. We've got this. Just a little more."  She was so encouraging. She even told me at the beginning of the race that she was going to be there all the way for me during this 5K.  But was I listening?  I was too busy being concerned about being fast and my time instead of what really mattered- finishing the race!!  Finishing this race confirmed me in that I am definitely motivated and inspired by support- and that support was Val. That being in this race was more about completing a challenge in my life with that friend beside me.
When we sprinted that last  stretch on the track field, I realized that I didn't do my best time but I FINISHED and I did what I set out to do.

My dear friend Mary Beth wrote this on my facebook page today:
Don't let fitness be stressful. You have an amazing accomplishment behind you! Congrats on the 5K - who cares about the time? It's something to beat if you do another But don't over-do the exercise! I've done that before and had my body fall apart on me. Stick with what makes you happy and healthy and the weight will come off as you enjoy living your life Good job, to you! So excited for you!

So I confess that I didn't get the "runners high" that so many people talk about. When we were out there doing that 5K, it felt like any other day when I go out and exercise. It was just more exciting for me because there were other unique and beautiful people out there doing it along with me.

Am I going to do another 5K?  You bet I am.  Will I be the fastest?  Probably not.  Will I keep growing and stretching myself as I train for these 5Ks?  Totally!! And that is why I have to keep at it.  For my health, for my life, to keep striving for those goals and things in life that grow and stretch me and teach me more about myself every day.  And along the way I meet people who inspire me, and people that I inspire. And we live life together, honoring God and we all make this beautiful life song to God.

And here is one more picture from that day.
We went to my dad's church the night of the 5K for a ladies dinner. My girls are such a vital part of what I do and keep my eyes steadfast on living a legacy that they will be proud of and one day follow.



No comments:

Post a Comment