Thursday, May 3, 2012

Brought Into The Light

I was thinking how crazy I am to share with people what I'm doing- I mean, am I setting myself up for failure?!  Those are some of the thoughts I've had recently.  And the more I thought about it, the more I felt "No, this is right.  You need to bring into the light what you have tried to hide." 

I've been in denial and accepted that for the rest of my life it would be ok to be overweight and have this affair with food.  Because, I'm all about accepting people.  You don't judge them by how they look.  It's not my place to talk about weight.  I've struggled with it all my life. So how dare I suggest that my food and weight problem is "sin".  I remember someone suggesting that being overweight was sin and I was appalled. How dare they! They just don't understand.  Everyone has issues and food and being overweight is not a big deal.  But the more I see how I have put food on a pedestal, before God, before relationships- then yes, it is a sin.  Because I allowed it to take root in my life and take precedence to God being the one to fulfill my needs.

 Everyone who knows me knows how much I love people and thrive on friendship, communication and relationships.  So sharing my life with others is just who I am.  But in all honesty, I have hidden a part of me.  I've tried to hide my addiction and unhealthy relationship to food in the darkest corner. 

The truth is, when you bring something into the light, it's not pretty.  It's like finding junk hidden up in the attic that's been there for years and its all dirty, dusty, moldy smelling or moth bitten.  It's not a pretty sight. But that is often where you find treasures too.  You find something that has been neglected and when you put time and care into it, it truly is a treasure.  I'm not talking about finding an antique and making some money off it. It might be a picture album of family photos or a quilt made by a great Aunt or a rocking chair that Grandma rocked you in.  You invest time, care, money and love into restoring and fixing that neglected item.  And when you are finished, you stand back and are awed by it's beauty.

I feel like I've hidden a part of me in the attic- neglected, unkept and in the dark.  But once you bring it into the light, you able to see what condition it is in.  I was in pretty bad shape and I tried to hide it.  And you can't hide sin because it eventually poors into every party of your life.  Its like a house, it may look well kept on the outside but when you walk inside, you can see what condition it truly is in. 

I Cor. 4:4-5
My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.

Job 12:22
He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings utter darkness into the light.
Micah 7:9b
He will bring me out into the light; I will see his righteousness.

Acts 26:18
to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me

1 John 1:5
This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
The darkness of my addiction to food has been brought into the light.  Now God can show me the hidden things in my heart that need to be removed, healed and restored.  Because I am willing to stand in the light of His presence and Holy Spirit, God can begin the work of making me into a beautiful masterpiece.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are God’s handiwork (masterpiece), created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
I was created to do good and great work for God....and I want to be about doing that, living life to the fullest and dancing in the light!

COME OUT OF THE DARK AND YOU WILL SEE THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE FATHER!

1 comment:

  1. Cherri, I know that others will be challenged to "bring to the light" their hidden sins as well. There is so much benefit in bringing things to the light, even though Satan tells us otherwise. Thanks for the challenge, and for sharing!!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete