Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Assumptions verses Truth

The past week I lost a few pounds- VICTORY!  It seems like the scales were stuck and it was super frustrating. But I'm reminded of something I've told my mom.  Sometimes you keep coming up against the same obsticle or trial and you wonder "Why does this keep coming up?" Or "Haven't I faced this challege before?"  I truly believe that God allows us to go through challenges not to make us suffer, not to punish us, not because he enjoys inflicting trials, but because he wants to "shape" us into his beautiful masterpiece and image. That my life would be a relection of His beauty in me.  And how many of you have to learn the hard way?  We're like a toddler, having to be guided and retold and disciplined and instructed in the same thing over and over and then VIOLA!  They get it!  They stop the bad habbit or learn the new skill and are able to move on.  So I think this applies to me- I just don't get it sometimes. I can say I do but am I living that out? 

AN EXAMPLE: Dealing with a conflict with a friend or family member. It seems like I'm put in situations over and over again dealing with my emotions that affect how I "perceive" something that is said.  Someone can tell me that I overact (and I admit, I know that I do), but until I get a hold of that and put on different "perspective glasses", I'm going to take offense. One of my mentors in life spoke gently to me about this problem I have with "perceiving" what people are saying to me.  I put what I think they are saying to me as truth but don't ask to see if that is what they really meant.  In other words, I am good at assuming and believing my assumptions.  Now the good thing is that I am not afraid to go to the person that I misunderstood and make it right. Especially, if I'm hurt or upset about it.  Sometimes it takes me awhile but most of the time, I really want to fix it and be in right/or good relationship with everyone in my life. There are some good verses that come to mind about this.

Romans 12:10
Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.

2 Corinthians 13:11 
 Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you

Romans 18:15-16
If your brother or sister sins (fellow disciple), go and point out their fault, just between the two of you.  If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two other along, so that every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.

Recently I feel like I come across this alot in my life- being hurt by what someone says, or doesn't say, or does or doesn't do!  Anyway, I am proud of my sensitive heart and how I feel so deeply, but sometimes it really gets me in a rut or puts me in a funk that affects not only me, but the other person and my family and my coworkers. etc.  You get the picture. We've all been there.  Its important to see the situation with the perspective of God's lenses and not my own which is so hard.  I'm thankful that I have a patient and loving God who gives me opportunities to grow and stretch and become STRONGER. 
It's like my exercising and eating right.  I'm not being punished by God with this plight of being overweight. Truly, it really is about letting God grow me and stretch me and teaching me to have a healthy relationship with my food and body.  This all sounds silly to some of you- but to others of you who are reading this, you are SO CONNECTING with me right now.  I am praying that what I write today helps you and your heart.  That it helps you to walk in truth and not assumptions.  Assumptions can destroy your whole outlook on life- Assumptions can guide you down the wrong path to the wrong people.  We need to live by truth, God's truth. The truth of what is really happening in a situation. And sometimes we need someone with wisdom to help us and check our "perception" of a situation.  Do you get my drift?!
Anyway, I'm taking a deep breath and I'm totally feeling what I'm writing today because I've been dealing with it all week- actually since the last time I wrote in my blog.
Let's end on a good note- do you know this song? My grandma used to sing it to me.
He's still working on me
To make me what I ought to be
It took Him just a week to make the moon and the stars,
The sun and earth and Jupiter and Mars.
How loving and patient He must be,
Cause He's still working on me.
Here are a few pictures to conclude my June 2013 pics:

Becca, cousin Kenidee and Abby out to lunch on Auntie's birthday

I took the girls to meet up with their daddy while he was in training in Cadillac. We stayed at McGuire Resort and then had breakfast at Big Boy in Caddillac.

Shopping as a family on Gina's birthday, June 27th, at one of our favorite stores.

Gina shopping with too many kids.


Seth was just loving on Jaelle and holding her hand on our lunch date. They both sang Twinkle Twinkle little Star together and it was so cute.


Me working it at the gym. I thought I was going to die!!


Big sis and Little Sis on Gina's birthday, June 27th.

And finally, on June 29th at 2:30pm, I cut off 5 inches of my very dry brittle hair.
It was time for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment