Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sharing our gifts

April 4rth our family went to Warwick Nursing Home in Alma to do a family show of juggling and music.  Cornelius scheduled it with the events coordinator, Bekha, last month .  We did it as a gift for my Great Aunt Virginia.  She lives at Warwick and has asked if we would come and do a show.  So finally we came.  The show started at 7pm.  The girls played several songs and sang each one song.  Abby did "Shine On Us" and Becca did "Firm Foundation".  Becca and I played a real fun duet called "Carnival" and it worked out great for Cornelius to juggle to it.  I played a Joplin piece while Cornelius juggled and Jaelle toddled about entertaing the people with her sweetness.  It was just so wonderful to see how they responded.  Even the ones who didn't talk much, smiled and responded to the girls and especially little Jaelle. We closed the program singing "You Are My Sunshine" and a few of the folks sang along...it was so touching.  After our program I went to each person with the girls and I took their hand and thanked them for coming and asked them their name.  Their whole face just lit up- it meant so much to have someone to just ask their name.  They each proudly told me their names and especially liked when Jaelle would reach for them.  Jaelle took one ladies hand and took a bite of her finger!  The lady laughed and Jaelle's eyes got big as saucers and then offered her own squeal. 
It was so good for our family to do this.  To do an activity where we are sharing and using our gifts to bless others.  Also, for us to work together as a family- there is value in this.  Builds strength in our family, in our faith and in our love.  We learn to respect eachother and what we each have to offer.  And finally, its good for us to share with those that have been forgotten.  I see how the elderly have been tucked away and forgotten and how we have lost the value of our elders.  But even if its not a popular part of our culture, I can teach my children and they can pass this legacy on.

Here is a sweet picture of Abby loving on her great grandma Ophia, 95 years old.  This picture just shows how much Abby cherishes my grandma and how the value of having elders in our lives is being passed on to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment