Thursday, May 30, 2013

Only What is Good and Helpful.....



Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. (NIV)
Ephesians 4:29


Another version of the Bible says it like this:
"Say only what is good and helpful....and what will give...a blessing."
TLB

I think we can misunderstand this verse and think that we only should say "positive or nice" words.  Which yes, we do need to speak in kindness, gentleness, love, and patience to eachother in order to build eachother up. But speaking good and helpful words can be words that build us up can be words that confront, or challenge our thinking or stretch us, or even take us to see something "uncomfortable" about a situation in a our life- or makes us see who we really are in the mirror and your heart condition. 

There are people in my life that I just love to talk with because they always tell me "how it is."  They don't sugarcoat it.  They are truthful.  They challenge me in my thinking.  They push me to be better.  When they speak to me, they are "building me up" to be the best that I can be and I LOVE THEM for it.
 
   It means so much to me that they would care enough to tell me in love and confront me with something that is important.  And in all honesty- its not easy to receive words that stretch or challenge us. .  And I know that it's not always easy to confront a friend with truth.  You don't want to seem like you know everything or seem bossy or hurtful and the list goes on.  We worry about offending people sometimes more than we worry about the condition of their heart, life and soul.

I'm so thankful that I have people in my life that love me enough to speak good and helpful advice in my life. 
But whats so awesome is that we have the technology to find people in the blogging world who do the same thing, speaking truth in their blog.  I've been reading some blogs lately of real women/real moms, who inspire me to stay on task, to not give up and to keep striving.  I can get derailed easily but I'm so thankful for a God who never gives up on me. I'm thankful for my husband who loves me through my emotional ups and downs. I'm inspired by my girls to be a role model and to let God's light shine through me.
And I am praying that through your contact with me whether at church, small group, school, work, facebook- that you receive good and helpful counsel. Not because it comes through me but because it comes from God's Spirit within me giving you His insight.

And I'm finally going to post this! n I started this blog entry last week May 22nd.  Next blog will be about our Memorial weekend and pics to share.


1 comment:

  1. I have never thought about that verse that way...such great thoughts!! Thanks so much for sharing, Cherri...you are such an encouragement to me!!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete