Friday, June 14, 2013

BEST DAD CONTEST

If I were ever to enter my husband into a contest, I think it would be "Best Dad" Contest.  I am convinced that Cornelius is probably the best father I know.  I have many men in my life and respect and love them dearly, but none of them hold a candle to my husband and how well he cares for his family. I'm not just boasting and being unrealistic people- CORNELIUS IS HANDS DOWN ONE OF THE BEST DAD'S I KNOW!!
And here are some reasons why:
1. He is the the most UNSELFISH person I know- their needs come first.
2. He always got up in the night to feed, change and rock the babies. I didn't have to ask him and still don't have to.
3. If I want to go away for a girl's night or just to run an errand, its never a big deal for him to watch the girls.  He never tells me "well next time it's your turn." 
4. Family comes first- it's almost a fault of his. He will say no to things or not do things because he doesn't want to forsake time with his kids.
5. He can outplay any kid because he is a kid!  Cornelius amazes me how much energy he has and how he can keep up with the kids running, biking, playing ball.  He loves to play with kids. And it probably explains why he does Children's Ministry.
6. He is a patient teacher.  Everything he knows, he teaches our girls. And if he doesn't know it, he will take time to figure it out and work with the girls to learn it.  Whether is an art project, baking, sewing....
7. Yeah, that's another thing- Cornelius is a jack of all trades- he can sew, bake, cook, can, grow a beautiful garden, fix anything.  He can do pottery on a pottery wheel, he's an amazing juggler, he can build anything he puts his mind too whether he knows how to do it or not.
8.  He's sensitive to our children's feelings and needs. He is very intuitive and seems to know what to do or say with our girls.  Which is crazy because Cornelius isn't a feely emotional person. He's level headed and a reasoner, but he's just so patient.
9. Cornelius always wanted to be a father and you can see it in how he interacts with our children and other children.
10.  Cornelius shows his love in such tangable ways through his acts of service, how he provides financially for us and especially the time he gives to us each day before he meets his own needs.
That was one of the reasons I married him- I knew he would be a provider to me and our children, that he would love them whole heartedly not just with words, but by his actions and devotion. That he would play with them, encourage them, discipline them and show them the truth of God's Word.  All these things Cornelius is and does.
Here's a poem I found  that seems to fit Cornelius perfectly (AND MY DAD TOO!):
He never looks for praises
He's never one to boast
He just goes on quietly working
For those he loves the most
His dreams are seldom spoken
His wants are very few
And most of the time his worries
Will go unspoken too
He's there.... A firm foundation
Through all our storms of life
A sturdy hand to hold to
In times of stress and strife
A true friend we can turn to
When times are good or bad
One of our greatest blessings,
The man that we call Dad.

Source: Poem About A Silent Strong Dad
I was going through pictures on my computer and found a few that I like.  There are so many more I could have chosen but these seem to fit and show bits of his personality.  I should have the girls post something  about their dad. Its always more special hearing it from the kids.

Jaelle was just a few weeks old when we went camping with friends. Cornelius didn't run off with the guys and leave me with the kids like the other dads did. He stuck around, played with the girls and even took time to rock Jaelle to sleep at the beach. 

He's a great story read- I love listening to him read as much as the girls love having him read to them

When I was pregnant with Abby, her due date was 11/16/01.  He asked me to go over my due date so that Abby could be born on his birthday.  He must have cursed me because that is EXACTLY what happened. Abby was born on November 19th, the same day as Cornelius. And see that cake? Yep, he made it. A beautiful German Torte from scratch.  He always makes the birthday cakes.


Cornelius loves to stop at library book sales. This one was in Ludington.  He has instilled a love of reading in our girls.

One of the most common places to find Cornelius in our home- THE KITCHEN.  He seriously should be a chef.

Cornelius is a kid at heart. He loves playing with his kids.


At the zoo.

Cornelius is an amazing baker- baking pies, cookies and cakes from scratch.  Here is a cute pic of him doing sugar cookies with the girls.

While doing this cartwheel Cornelius said "If I can still do a cartwheel then I'm not old."  And he still can. :)

This picture was taken on our anniversary get away to Pictured Rocks- He literally jumped down the Log Run and I think its like 200 feet down or something crazy like that.  He's fearless!!!

Video games.  Who'es having more fun? Cornelius or Becca?


Cornelius working hard in my parent's Greenhouse. He's so good to my parents.

Cornelius working.

Corneilus loves nature and hunting and fishing. He has told me one of the best ways he encounters God is in God's creation.

Cornelius the chef- Thanksgiving Turkey

Cornelius and his farm girls.
First picture taken of our whole family after Jaelle's birth. Such a proud daddy.


I think a father is a man who holds his family in his hands and gives his heart and whole life for them. He lives Christ's love in a tangable way to his family so that they can experience their Heavenly Father in a real way on earth.

Cornelius, you truly are an amazing man. And I don't need to try to prove it, because those who know you best, hear it and see it. You are a man who lives your faith and because of it, your children are blessed and thriving.  Thank you for being a father to our children.
I love you.
Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment