Sunday, January 15, 2012

Becca's 8th birthday

My Rebecca Diane turned 8 years old January 14th.  We had a special birthday party for her with my parents and her best friend Bria, on Sunday the 8th before my mom left for Honduras.  But then we did another fun birthday on Saturday the 14th with my sister and her family.  It was a fun weekend and we concluded the weekend today with a Chili cook off at our church today.  (Which we raised over $1000 for our church food pantry with this cook off event!)
Thinking about what I want to write about my Becca- she is remarkably intelligent and whitty.  I remember that when I was pregnant with her, I thought for sure I was going to have a boy.  We didn't do an ultrasound to find out the sex of the boy.  So I had like 3 boy names picked out.  But I knew for sure that if it was "by chance" a girl, I would call her Rebecca Diane.  Diane is my Aunts name and Rebecca, well, I think it is a beautiful name with so much meaning.  Rebecca was beautiful in the Bible and wise.  I wanted my daughter's name to be a blessing over her life.  And seeing her grow into a young lady, I see so much potential for such talent and strength in God. 
Becca is extremely intelligent- she tests at a 4rth grade reading level at the beginning of 2nd grade.  She is in a gifted class and is an excellent writer.  She has a knack for story telling in her writing and loves to create in her writing.  She started piano when she was 3 years old and I have a music video of her playing a Christmas duet, Jingle Bells, with me when she was 3.  Now at 8 years old I have to fight her to practice.  And if she would only practice, she would do circles around what I did because she has such a natural ability.  But she's stubborn and gets frustrated when she doesn't learn it on the first try.
Becca has a strong exterior but on the inside, she is caring and sensitive.  Her feelings can get hurt but she doesn't tell one and she often keeps her deepest treasures to herself.  Just a few months ago she gave her heart to the Lord at Bible Release.  She didn't want to just talk about it at the supper table when we brought it up.  But when we have our talks before bed, she has deep thought provoking questions and answers.  Her faith is maturing and I see a very solid faith developing.  Becca loves to read God's Word and has a gift for memorizing it.
This past summer she helped me lead all the worship songs at our Vacation Bible School.  She was amazing!  She stood up front, sang and did the actions and hand motions to the songs.  I couldn't have done it without her.  It was such a motivation to me to have her particpate and learn the songs with me.  I think about her gift of music not only in singing and playing the piano, but in leading people in worship.  When she was a baby, I prayed that gift over her.
Becca is stubborn and strong.  Hmm?  I wonder who she gets that from?  Let me tell you about a story that happened a few years ago.  I made scrambled eggs for breakfast.  Becca hates eggs.  She does like a boiled egg but never scrambled or fried.  Well, I'm all about learning and aquiring new tastes so I told her that she would have to eat her eggs before she left the table.  Abby devored her eggs and was long gone before Becca even took one bite.  She sat at the table and mumbled and grumbled.  I set the timer and told Becca "You have 15 minutes to eat those eggs or I am going to spank you."  So I sent the timer and kept on my business cleaning up the kitchen.  Becca just dawdled and mumbled and didn't take one bite.  Now only 5 minutes remained and I told Becca that she only had 5 minutes left and proceded to go to the drawer and shake around the contents of the drawer so she knew I was getting the spatula to spank her with.  Becca then boldly announces "Mom, you better just spank me because I'm not going to eat these eggs."  So I went in there and gave her 3 hard spanks on the bottom with the spatula.  She then went to her room and covered her cries under her pillow.  AND she held those tears and cries until she was in her room.  She did not want to give me the satisfaction that I hurt her or upset her.....oh my.  That girl is something else.
Becca is a daddy's girl.  My mother-n-law told me that I shouldn't say that or say daddy's girl.  But the truth is, Becca has a very special relationship with her daddy.  And I think it is perfectly healthy and beautiful.  A father is so special to a daughter.  He builds her self esteem and teaches her how a man should treat a girl.  Cornelius can do no wrong in her eyes.  Except when he does punish her.  Then its like the world has fallen and she is terribly heart broken.   During journal time or any time when you have to write about a hero or someone special, well, she always writes about her daddy. :)
So I think that I have journaled enough about Becca today.  But since I'm celebrating her birthday, I want to celebrate memories and treasure this time in her life.  She is one special lady and I only enjoy seeing her develop more and more into a beautiful woman. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment