Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Over a Hump

August is out with a good start. August 1st I had a doctor appointment at 1pm. I left work early and picked up Abby and Becca on the way to the doctor. I lost 4 pounds since my last doctor appointment a month ago. And I was on my period and so I knew in my mind that it would have been even more pounds lost if I wasn't bloated but who cares- I lost. And that scale has been stuck for awhile. The doctor was so pleased with my progress. She told me that we can wait for me to return. I mentioned the S word- SURGERY. And she just looked at me like I was crazy. She encouraged me and told me to keep at it. And that I'm older, I've had kids and I'm making gains in my health which is most important.
Afterwards we headed for pedicures.  It was the girls first time getting pedicures. Abby loved the massaging chairs and almost fell asleep. Becca was super ticklish and laughed/giggled while they worked on her feet.  Here's cute pic of my sweet girls getting a pedicure for the first time.

I got a UTI infection and ended up not working out that last week in August. But it turned out ok. I started fresh and went yesterday and today. I did my best work out yesterday. I did a few things that I wasn't able to do before. I was able to do the inclined sit ups- 10 of them!  I couldn't even do one when we started!!  WHOOP!! WHOOP!! And then I did these knee pull up things. You're sitting on your elbows dangling and then pull up your knees to your chest. I did like 15 of them. I couldn't hardly do 3 when we first started working out and it hurt my shoulders so bad because I could hardly hold up my weight.  Completely proud of myself.  THEN, there was this kid in the gym. I don't know. Maybe he's 20. He's red haired and freckled. I could see him lifting/pulling like 200lbs on this machine and I was like "What? That kid probably don't even weigh 200 pounds." SO I walked over to him and tapped him on the shoulder (he was wearing headphones), he looked up at me sorta like "what?" and then I asked "Do you even weigh as much as your lifting?" And he smiled and said "I'm just warming up."  So I sat down at the machine kiddy corner from him and said "I'm going to lift at least 150 pounds." So I did. Then I said "I'm going to lift the same as you, 200lbs, at least 5 times." And the kid smiled and was super nice and said "Just make sure you're pinching in your shoulder blades cause that is where you want to feel it with these."  So I did- I did 200lbs 5 times. And the owner of the gym came over and said to me and that boy "Hey, I just want you to know Cherri that the machine you're using is more difficult and the weights are heavier." And I made this wink/smile at the boy and he laughed. Anyways, it was a super fun night. And I did the plank like 2 times without hardly resting in between.  It was a crazy hard workout and MAN, was I sore this morning. BUT IT FELT GOOD and I feel strong.  I told Cornelius last night before bed, "I am getting strong. And I am going to lose this fat." He told me "I know you are"  We were examining my arm and shoulder muscles. My arms have definitely lost the most inches and their toning and firm.  Its exciting to see results not only physically, but to see results in your workout and see that you're physically able to do more than when you started-it feels so good and empowering.

Sometimes I feel bad for thinking and talking and writing so much about working out. I should be talking about deeper things. But seriously, this is where I'm at. Working at getting this body strong and healthy. Losing weight so that I can live and be an example to my children to be active.

Today, the family came with me to the gym. I worked out with Julia and they went on the Heartland trail. When they got back I was done working out. I did my cardio before Julia got there. And the mile is getting a little easier. I was able to do it in 12 minutes 40 seconds and I didn't feel like I was pushing myself. I could have pushed more to have a quicker pace. But I did a good pace and walked only 3 minutes of that 12 minute mile.

I met an amazing woman at the gym a week or so ago. Her name is Andrea. She was prego with her first baby. She came to work out that Friday night at the gym and was getting induced at midnight that night!!  She was super in shape and did running and weight lifting that night. She was very inspirational and encouraging. She recommended a blog/facebook site for running moms. When we talked about her health, she had some serious issues with her body during her pregnancy- something with her hips. But she told me that working out helped her with the pain. She also did her best 5K of 22 minutes!  She told me that her doctor wanted her to come to every OB appointment he had to show women that pregnancy is not a disability and to keep being active. Anyway, I was inspired to keep working at it- no matter what stage of life you are in, its always important to stay in shape.
 
Andrea was smart. She consulted with her doctor regarding her health/exercise regimen while pregnant. She wore a heart monitor while exercising and a prego belt support around her belly. She is a nurse and is doing her doctorate in Women's Health. 
 
Tonight as I sit here writing, I'm thankful for a family that supports me. A family that loves me and a family that believes in me.  I've lost a few more pounds and feel like I'm OVER THE HUMP and reaching new ground in my weight loss. Hoping that we're on track to start losing more weight!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment